|Pilgrim's Dole, perfect for Turkey Day|
However, at times like these we should be careful not to overlook the one thing that really makes this scene successful: legions of craft beer loyalists who continuously support the local movement with both their hard-earned cash and valuable time. At Siciliano's we recognize the importance of the individual enthusiast. From the most discerning aficionado to the most casual beer geek, we're grateful for all of you, knowing full well that IPAs and bourbon-barrel stouts, now matter how tasty or hard to find, just don't sit around and drink themselves. Thanks so much for helping to make Siciliano's the store it is today.
New (and Returning) Beers
- Short's Ginger in the Rye, $1.99/12oz - "A Rye Munich Weizen Ale with approximately 2 oz of fresh ginger per gallon and an ABV of approximately 7.0%" (source).
- New Holland Pilgrim's Dole Wheat Wine, $3.99/12oz - "A barleywine-style ale made with fifty percent wheat malt...[it blends] warming and slightly sweet flavors with a unique caramelized character. It would be an excellent accent to nutty dishes, fruit crisps or creme brulee" (source).
- A. le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout, $6.89/9.3oz - This beer is "a towering achievement, on the same level as a great old Barolo or vintage port. It makes a mind-boggling match with venison in sour cherry sauce and is a fine accompaniment to game sausages, particularly wild boar... As for cigars, only the finest, strongest Cubans will do, unless you have an Arturo Fuente Opus X. In that case, I'll be right over." Garrett Oliver, The Bremaster's Table, p.151 (source).
- Schloss Eggenberg Doppelbock Dunkel, $4.59/12oz - According to the Beer Bibliographer "this Austrian brew is deep brown with red-orange highlights and floats a sparse but consistent tan head. The bouquet is fabulous: malty, roasted carmel, licorice, coffee, raisins…and all well-balanced and very appealing" (source).
- Gulden Draak Vintage 2010, $14.49/750ml - A Belgian Strong Double Ale, "quite malty, but well balanced. Caramel, sweet estery malt with a hop presence that's understated but provides backbone. Tasty. Another classic from the Gulden Draak family, glad I finally got to try it" (Review from Beer Advocate).
- Wittekerke Winter White Ale, $9.99/750ml - The double version of Witterkerke's classic winter white, which "famous beer connoisseur Michel Jackson describes as 'creamy, aromatic, with a clean, teasing, perfumy fruits and Faintly herbal defies ness ness'" (source).
- Dark Horse Too Cream Stout, $1.99/12oz - A beer "made with milk sugar (lactose) which gives this beer a nice creamy mouthfeel...hints of chocolate and roasty flavors" (source).
- Buffalo Bills Blueberry Oatmeal Stout, $1.59/12oz - "At 7.5% alcohol, this award-winning brew is a true winter warmer...hints of chocolate, oatmeal, and fresh blueberries" (source).
- Innes & Gunn Original Oak Aged Ale, $2.39/12oz, $5.29/750ml - "Its lengthy 77-day maturation imparts flavours of toffee, vanilla and oak that perfectly complement the beer’s backbone of luscious malt and fruity hop notes. The oak helps to give Innis & Gunn Original its appealing colour and also mellow the alcohol character, so although the beer is 6.6%, it’s very smooth and easy to drink" (source).
- Innes & Gunn Rum Cask, $2.59/120z, $6.29/750ml - "Soft fruits and malt balanced by a lively spiciness from the rum." This finish is "mellow and oaky with just a lingering hint of spice" (source).
- Fomosa Lager, $1.79/12oz - "The most famous beer in Guatemala, with a different name exclusively for commercializing in foreign markets. Famosa is a lager beer with a light golden color...possessing smooth bitterness and delicate aroma. Thanks to its wholesome flavor and balance, it has become the favorite of those who demand and enjoy a high quality beer" (source).
- Dragon Stout, $1.99/12oz - A beer from Jamaica "starting out very roasty and malty, then building up some milk chocolate and vanilla notes, leading into the finish. Hints of dark fruits (raisins, dates) and coffee. For a stout, this is smooth and not bitter" (As reviewed on Beer Advocate).
- Heineken Mini-Keg Collector's Pack, $25.19 - Includes a 5-liter keg of Heineken, two 8-ounce Heineken glasses, one skimmer, and ten Heineken coasters. The perfect gift for the Heineken fan who already has everything.
- Cerveza Cucapa Tequila-Barrel Barley Wine, $6.99/22oz - From the label, "Our inspiration comes from the mountains of Jalisco where agave is king. This is the first tequila barrel aged beer in the world. We took a batch of our multi-prized barley wine and put it into tequila barrels and here are the results."
- Cerveza Cucapa Green Card Barley Wine, $7.69/22oz - From the label, "Brewed to a heavy 10% ABV [with] a viscous malty character and a hint of hops. This beer is complex and life-changing."
Picture of the Week
|At the Waldorff in Hastings, the glass is half full|
Siciliano's Market Thanksgiving Holiday Hours
Closed Thanksgiving Day
Friday & Saturday 8am - 10pm
Sunday 10am - 10pm
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!