If you stopped by Siciliano’s Market this past week you may have noticed some of the new information cards that we’ve begun placing at various locations around the store. It’s our hope that these snippets of product-related info, useful knowledge and fun facts will enhance your Siciliano’s shopping experience and make your visits to one of west Michigan’s premier specialty stores even more enjoyable.
Kudos to the staff for coming up with this great idea and to Mark Iacopelli in particular for spearheading this project. Keep an eye out for these informational snapshots on racks, shelves and cooler doors during your future visits to the store.
Just a reminder that the first in the series of our homebrewing classing is scheduled for Monday, July 18 at 6:30 p.m. at Siciliano’s Market. Go here for future class schedules and other pertinent details.
New and Returning Beer
- Cascade Brewing Kriek, $28.69/750ml - "Brewed with 4 types of cherries, aged in oak for one year.Cascade Kriek Ale spends over 6 months of lactic fermentation and aging in small oak barrels. This "Belgian Flanders Style Red Ale" is refermented with a blend of fresh whole Northwest cherries and then hand bottled. Cascade Kriek Ale is bottle fermented and should be refrigerated or stored at cellar temp and served at 45 to 50 degrees" (source).
- Cascade Brewing Apricot, $28.69/750ml - "Cascade Apricot Ale is based on our Temptor Triple Ale that has undergone over 8 months of lactic fermentation and oak barrel aging. Ripe NW Apricots are fermented with this beer for 3 additional months. This hand packaged and bottle conditioned ale will only get better with age ... good luck waiting" (source).
- Cascade Brewing Blueberry, $28.69/750ml - "This NW style sour ale blends wheat & blond ales that were oak aged in barrels for 6 mths, then additionally aged 4 mths on fresh blueberries. Huge herbal notes of dense blueberries in the nose give way to hints of oak & a dusty floral note. Rich earthy notes of dark fruit on the palate lead to a tart finish that dries out to a base note of blueberry skins" (source).
- Cascade Brewing Strawberry, $28.69/750ml - "This NW style sour is a crisp, refreshing wheat beer that was barrel-aged for seven months then additionaly aged with strawberries for another eight months. Bright, sweet strawberries and light candy notes greet you in the nose. A light tartness and berry sweetness intermingle on the palate, giving way to a light, sparkling fresh berry tartness in the finish. It is better as a breakfast beer or a dessert? You decide" (source).
- Stone Go To IPA, $1.99/16oz - "Since Day One, we've been abundantly forthright and fully transparent about our lust for hops. It's led us to craft many an IPA, most of them imperial—some intense for their time and all timeless in their intensity. For Stone Go To IPA, we embrace our hop obsession in a new way, funneling an abundance of lupulin-borne bitterness into a session IPA that delivers all the fruity, piney character of a much bigger IPA. To accomplish this, we employ hop bursting, a technique wherein an irrational amount of hops is added during the final phase of the brewing process to bring out extreme flavors and aromas while also imparting a burst of desirably pleasant bitterness. The result is an alpha-acid-rich beer that fans can enjoy more of without missing out on the assertive hop character you, like us, crave. So, sit back and go two with your new everyday go-to IPA and bask along with us in the glory of the almighty hop" (source).
- Short's Power of Love, $1.99/12oz - "Power of Love is a truly unique pink-colored Shandy created by blending Northwoods Soda & Syrup Co. Gourmet Lemonade and a Wheat Ale brewed with raspberry and rosemary. Enticing sugary aromas intermix with appealing citrus and herb fragrances. Very sweet lemon flavors give way to a shock of tart raspberry before turning sharply dry, as if eating a piece of grapefruit" (source).
- Boulevard Tropical Pale Ale, $1.69/12oz - "We’re very excited to announce that a new year-round beer will be joining our lineup this spring! Inspired by our collaboration with Florida’s famed Cigar City Brewing, Tropical Pale Ale marries our love and mastery of balanced pale ales with the bright, refreshing flavors of grapefruit and passion fruit accented by juicy, citrusy hops" (source).
- Jolly Pumpkin Calabaza Boreal, $15.29/750ml - ""When introspection fails, it’s time to look outward for inspiration, perhaps Northward! One of the people who inspired me this past year is my friend Gabe Fletcher, of Anchorage Brewing Co. We brewed this beer together. I hope it inspires you. Northward (source).
- Jolly Pumpkin Matane Ahorita, $15.29/750ml - "Sour bier with spices added" (source).
- Boatyard Midnight Star, $2.99/16oz - "We offer to the world our Midnight Star, a black cream ale that just has to be tried to be believed. The black malt disguises the rich caramel flavors that just burst through on every sip. Combine a hint of rye for spice and lactose for a silky smooth texture and you have an ale that is unbeatable. Don’t be afraid of the dark! Midnight Star will kiss your palate and leave you wanting for more" (source).
- Boatyard Scuttlebutt IPA, $2.99/16oz - "This British/American IPA hybrid boasts great color and a vibrant nose. With a single sip you will find solid malt backbone with caramel notes. The hopping brings out a spectrum of citrus and pine flavors that balance well with the malt. This IPA is dry-hopped with Citra hops and the finish it provides is spectacular" (source).
- Boatyard Kalamazoo Cream Ale, $2.79/16oz - "This ale was created for those days when you just want a light-hearted, easy drinking ale with a lower alcohol content. We wanted a light beer, but not one void of flavor. Our recipe used over five different malts, including a Munich and Caramel 20. We also mashed in flaked maize and flaked barley to keep the flavor mild, but complex. Lactose was added to produce a great mouth feel and creamy head. The balanced hops profile included both Cascade and Saaz. The result was a light beer with a flavor perfect for hot summer days" (source).
- Unity Vibration Brewgyver, $8.39/500ml - "Brewed in honor of our "brewgyver". Kombucha beer hopped with galena, chinook, and crystal hops. With strawberry, maple syrup, and smoked maple chips" (source).
- Unity Vibration Elderwand, $3.59/12oz - "A delicious brew made with elderberries, blackberries, and buckwheat! As always, still deliciously raw, paleo, gluten-free, and organically and locally sourced" (source).
- Oskar Blues Passion Fruit Pinner, $1.69/12oz - "Passion Fruit Pinner takes the flavors of passion fruit & citrus juice of the original Pinner Throwback IPA and turns them up to 11. The clean malts, with hints of toasted biscuit pair with zesty hops to spice up the taste and aromas from pureed Passion Fruit and a small spike of pureed Blood Orange" (source).
Video of the Week | Session Boldly
Another good one from Founders.