|Reconfigured brewing area|
By Steve Siciliano
September will be here before we know it and we can't think of a better way to kick off the fall beer- and wine-making season than by holding our annual sale.
The 2013 edition of the Siciliano's Beer & Wine Making Customer Appreciation Sale will start on Monday, September 9 and continue through the close of business on Sunday, September 15.
Our beer- and wine-making section has been reconfigured and we recently have added some great new equipment for the brewing and winemaking hobbyist.
During the sale, most equipment, supplies and ingredients will be 15% off the retail price. Items that are already discounted—carboys, 50/55 lb. bags of grain, Blichmann Engineering products—will not be eligible for additional discount nor will the 15% be combined with other existing discounts (like the club discount). We will honor one discount or the other, whichever is greater. Equipment and supplies on the following list will have discounts deeper than 15%:
- BEER EQUIPMENT KIT/GLASS: Reg. $105.00, Sale $85.00
- WINEMAKING EQUIP KIT/GLASS: Reg. $95.00, Sale $79.00
- WORT AERATION SYSTEM: Reg. $38.49, Sale $31.49
- YEAST STARTER KIT: Reg. $75.00, Sale $55.00
- MASH/LAUTER TUN: Reg $125.00, Sale $102.00
- REFRIGERATOR THERMOSTAT (JOHNSON CONTROLS): Reg. $69.00, Sale $57.00
- REFRIGERATOR THERMOSTAT (RANCO): Reg. $95.00, Sale $78.00
- ESCALI PRIMO DIGITAL SCALE: Reg. $26.00, Sale $21.00
- ESCALI TASO DIGITAL SCALE: Reg. $39.95, Sale $32.79
- 25 FT. IMMERSION WORT CHILLER: Reg $64.99, Sale $56.00
- 50 FT. IMMERSION WORT CHILLER: Reg. $130.00, Sale $107.00
- COUNTER FLOW WORT CHILLER: Reg. $118.00, Sale $97.00
- KEGGING SYSTEM (NEW KEG): Reg. $289.00, Sale $225.00
- KEGGING SYSTEM (USED KEG): Reg. $229.00, Sale $180.00
- STAINLESS MIX STIR: Reg. $29.69 Sale $23.69
- CHAMPAGNE FLOOR CORKER: Reg. $153.00, Sale $119.00
- ITALIAN FLOOR CORKER: Reg. $143.00, Sale $109.00
- PORTUGUESE FLOOR CORKER: Reg. $63.00, Sale $50.00
- MILWAUKEE PH METER: Reg. $81.00, Sale $64.00
- REFRACTOMETER: Reg. $91.00, Sale $70.00
Finally, be sure to stop by the Siciliano's Market on Saturday, September 14 for some free German wieners, homemade sauerkraut and draft root beer. In the meantime, tide yourself over with all the new beers that hit the shelves this week at Siciliano's.
New (and Returning) Beers at Siciliano's
- Shiner Oktoberfest, $1.49/12oz - "Here in Shiner, TX (pop. 2,070), we’re suckers for tradition. Which is why this classic Oktoberfest brew is made with the highest quality two-row barley, Munich and caramel malts, along with German grown Hallertau Tradition and Hersbrucker hops. It’s our way of honoring our ancestors and the beer they loved to celebrate with. So raise your stein to tradition and enjoy this utterly classic brew" (source).
- Frankenmuth Oktoberfest, $1.69/12oz - "A super-premium lager with a reddish color, a toasty malt character and dry taste of hops. The beer made famous by the Munich Oktoberfest" (source).
- Great Lakes Oktoberfest, $1.69/12oz - "Cleveland’s celebration of Oktoberfest dates to the mid 1800’s when German immigrants gathered at outdoor beer gardens like Haltnorth’s and Kindvater’s St. Clair Gardens. Our amber lager with rich malt flavor and noble hops honors Cleveland’s diverse cultural heritage" (source).
- Samuel Adams Oktoberfest, $1.59/12oz bottles and cans - "The first thing you notice when pouring a glass of this seasonal beer is the color. Samuel Adams® Octoberfest has a rich, deep golden amber hue which itself is reflective of the season. Samuel Adams® Octoberfest is a malt lover’s dream, masterfully blending together four roasts of barley to create a delicious harmony of sweet flavors including caramel and toffee. The beer is kept from being overly sweet by the elegant bitterness imparted by the German Noble hops. Samuel Adams® Octoberfest provides a wonderful transition from the lighter beers of summer to the winter’s heartier brews" (source).
- Rogue Pumpkin Patch Ale, $11.49/22oz - "The newest addition to the Chatoe Rogue series is Pumpkin Patch Ale, a beer made using fresh pumpkins grown in a patch that borders Rogue’s 42 acre hop yard. The pumpkins are picked, loaded into Rogue’s farm truck, driven immediately 77 miles to our brewery in Newport, quickly roasted, and pitched into the brew kettle to create a batch of Pumpkin Patch Ale" (source).
- Angry Orchard Cinnful Apple, $1.59/12oz - "Our Cinnful Apple cider is crisp and refreshing with a spicy twist. The sweet, slightly tart apple flavor is balanced with cinnamon spice, adding a slight heat for a flavor that is truly Cinnful" (source).
- Ace Hard Pumpkin Cider, $1.99/12oz - "Ace is a fall seasonal cider made from fermented apples, pumpkin and allspice, ideal for harvest time holidays. It’s also Gluten free, which is a nice alternative if you can’t rock the grains" (source).
- Magic Hat Seance, $1.59/12oz - "Séance is a dark, complexly concocted Saison, rich with earthy hues and flavors. A mild tartness begins the journey, and an underlying hop bitterness sweeps the senses through a newly opened door of the mind, where you will soon find subtle hints of ripe fruit, bringing you to a place few dare to roam" (source).
- Odd Side Ales Bean Flicker, $1.99/12oz - "A light coffee note with gentle grains" (source).
- Lagunitas Little Somethin' Wild Ale, $1.99/12oz - "Another Big Sister of the Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’ Ale…. Loads of Malted Wheat for a Curious Malt Foundation and a Light Color, But Our Belgian Yeast Leaves a Huge Flavor and Complexishness" (source).
- Cheers Norm's Amber Ale, $1.19/16oz can - "Norm’s Amber Ale delivers crisp, refreshing citrus aromas, a subdued honey malt character, and a clean finish. Get nostalgic with a true classic" (source).
- Original Sin Newton Pippin, $10.79/750ml - "Newtown Pippin Single Heirloom Varietal “The Prince of Apples” First harvested in 1740 in Queens, NY. Coveted by George Washington and Thomas Jefferson and planted in their personal estates. Benjamin Franklin had Newtown Pippins shipped to him in London in 1759. Credited with establishing the U.S. fruit export industry. Was popular for use in the making of hard cider" (source).
- Original Sin Cherry Tree, $10.79/750ml - "Our Cherry Tree cider combines the finest American heirloom apples, which were popular in the United States in the 18th and 19th centuries, with tart cherries. The finished product has the clean, rich flavor of fresh cherries with the depth and elegance that comes from using freshly pressed U.S. heirloom cider apples" (source).
Picture of the Week
|We call this one, "Greg pointing at beer."|