The Kent District Library (KDL) has announced the reprisal this fall of its popular KDL Uncorked, a program of free winemaking classes, winery and cidery tours and discounted wine and cider tastings.
I will again be conducting the program's free winemaking classes at five different KDL branches. Dates, time and venues for the Winemaking 101 classes are as follows:
- Monday, September 21, 6:00 PM, Sand Lake/Nelson Township Branch
- Thursday, September 24, 6:00 PM, Walker Branch
- Tuesday, October 13, 6:00 PM, Tyrone Township Branch
- Tuesday, October 27, 6:00 PM, Caledonia Township Branch
- Monday, November 16, 6:00 PM, Englehardt/Lowell Branch
New and Returning Beer/Whiskey
- Brooklyn 25th Anniversary, $10.89/750ml - "We are saluting our beginnings with a special doppelbock version of the Brooklyn Lager we introduced in 1988. This beer is re-fermented in the bottle and will taste great today or years from now. The original was inspired by the beers of 19th Century New York and Vienna" (source).
- Brooklyn Coffee Porter, $24.49/750ml - "Brooklyn Intensified Coffee Porter starts as a big, chocolatey ale, ready to take on super powers. The first power is gained from months of aging in Kentucky bourbon barrels. The second arises from delectable beans harvested by our pals at Finca El Manzano Single Origin Coffee in El Salvador. The final power comes from Blue Bottle Coffee, who roast the coffee to perfection. Brace yourself for complex notes of dark chocolate, vanilla, oak, berries, and dried fruit, coming to intensify you" (source).
- Founders Breakfast Stout, $2.99/12oz - "The coffee lover’s consummate beer. Brewed with an abundance of flaked oats, bitter and imported chocolates, and two types of coffee, this stout has an intense fresh-roasted java nose topped with a frothy, cinnamon-colored head that goes forever" (source).
- New Holland Carhartt Woodsman, $1.59/12oz - "Celebrates craftsmanship and hard work. Locally-grown Cascade hops bring a brightness to this barrel-aged American pale ale. Malt sweetness and toasted oak combine for a smooth, refreshing finish" (source).
- Saugatuck Darker Than Your Soul, $2.59/12oz - "Time to unleash your dark side. Darker Than Your Soul Stout is a smooth and creamy stout with huge flavor and dark body. Brewed with de-husked malts to minimize bittering and increase taste" (source).
- Sierra Nevada Ovila Barrel Aged Dubbel, $20.99/750ml - "Belgian-style dubbel aged in wine barrels" (source).
- Goose Island Muddy, $3.39/12oz - "Brewed with molasses, brewer’s licorice, and Belgian dark rock candi sugar, The Muddy is an imperial stout with amplified sweetness for a taste as distinctive as the Chicago blues that inspired its creation" (source).
Video of the Week | Local Ingredients
Short's Brewing Co. visits a local barley farm.