|"National WHAT month? Uh-oh."|
August is National Catfish Month and if you’re looking for some way to honor this popular food fish over the next few weeks, here’s a suggestion. The Rezervoir Lounge on Plainfield Avenue in Grand Rapids offers a wonderful blackened catfish filet that is served with rice and a side of steamed broccoli. Pair the dish with a New Holland White Hatter if it’s still on tap. The beer’s spicy notes and citrusy hops go very well with the filet’s peppery Cajun seasoning.
Okay, I doubt that many of you knew that August was National Catfish Month but if you’re a Dead head you most certainly know that August 1 is Jerry Garcia’s birthday.
I’m not a huge Dead fan but when Barb and I were in San Francisco a few years back we made the obligatory visit to the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood and we walked past the house where Jerry and his bandmates lived during the Summer of Love. Afterwards we stopped at the Magnolia Gastropub and Brewery for a sandwich and a beer then made our way down to the Toronado Bar in the lower Haight.
If you’re ever in San Francisco the Toronado is a must visit. Ignore the slew of internet reviewers that slam the tavern’s seedy décor and whine about the rude bartenders. Order up a Pliny or some obscure Belgian beer and enjoy the experience.
Have a great weekend everyone!
New and Returning Beer
- Alaskan Amber, $1.59/12oz - "Our flagship beer is based on a turn-of-the-century recipe that quenched the thirst of miners during the Klondike Gold Rush. Smooth and richly malty, this altbier goes well with any meal" (source).
- Alaskan Freeride APA, $1.59/12oz - "Alaskan Freeride APA is brewed with Cascade, Citra, and Centennial hops, premium two-row and specialty crystal malts, and Juneau’s glacier-fed water" (source).
- Alaskan Icy Bay IPA, $1.59/12oz - "Alaskan Icy Bay IPA is made from glacier-fed water and a blend of Cascade, Bravo, Calypso, Summit and Apollo hops and premium two-row pale and specialty malts" (source).
- Alaskan Hopothermia, $2.79/12oz - "Hopothermia is a full-flavored representation of the Double IPA style with a robust malt body resting in easy harmony, like a massive grizzly bear in winter, with the big and drinkable American hop character" (source).
- Southern Tier Harvest, $1.69/12oz - "Harvest Ale is our celebration of the changing weather and the sowing of hops and barley that will be used in our upcoming brews. We usher in the fall with a classic English style Extra Special Bitter of the highest order. Deep ruby in color with an even deeper hop flavor… in fact, we throw fresh English hops into every brewing vessel, then dry hop after fermentation to impart a zesty kick. This beer has real hop character that mingles with fresh malted barley for an experience that will make you wish it were fall year ‘round" (source).
- Atwater Bloktoberfest, $1.79/12oz - "Octoberfest, a German tradition that celebrates harvest. Now Atwater carries on the tradition with our own special lager "Blocktoberfest". Brewed with 100% German malt for a rich taste and amber color" (source).
- Shorts Imperial Spruce Pilsner, $2.39/12oz (limit 3 bottles/person) - "Imperial India Spruce Pilsner is fermented with local, hand-picked blue spruce tips and the quintessential symbol for Joe Short’s love of hops and craft beer. The spruce presence, rooted in historical brewing practices, is enormous and gives the beer a refreshing gin quality. This beer is impressively light bodied, considering the immense spruce flavors and the prodigious additions of hops" (source).
Picture of the Week
In honor of Jerry Garcia's birthday, we present this picture taken last week in Irons, MI
of a turtle eating a mushroom. It's somehow fitting, don't you think?