|"I've got my eye on you, Dirt Wolf."|
Since, like last week, the Detroit Tigers are playing on Thursday night (the time I typically piece together New Beer Friday), I see no other choice than to cut short this week's NBF preamble.
Let's all keep our fingers crossed that these abbreviated introductions continue for at least one more week, which necessitates the Tigers wining two of the next three games against Boston. In the meantime, have a gander at the latest beers (and whiskey) to hit the shelves at Siciliano's.
New and Returning Beers
- Oskar Blues Ten Fidy, $4.19/12oz - "This titanic, immensely viscous stout is loaded with inimitable flavors of chocolate-covered caramel and coffee and hide a hefty 98 IBUs underneath the smooth blanket of malt. Ten FIDY (10.5% ABV) is made with enormous amounts of two-row malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, flaked oats and hops. Ten FIDY is the ultimate celebration of dark malts and boundary-stretching beer" (source).
- Shorts Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, $2.19/12oz (limit 2/person) - "A double Belgian IPA brewed exclusively with galaxy hops. These specialized hops ate loaded with flavors of tangerine and passion fruit" (source).
- Victory Dirt Wolf, $2.59/12oz - "Wildly assertive, intentionally untamed and dangerously satisfying, DirtWolf Double IPA is the culmination of Victory’s double IPA series experiment with whole flower American-grown hops. With two-row German malts and a well-balanced combination of whole flower Citra, Chinook, Simcoe and Mosaic hops, this 8.7% abv brew blends the powerful citrus aroma and fruity flavors, with the piney, earthy and mildly floral characteristics found in these intriguing hop varieties. Replacing Victory’s Hop Wallop® Ale, which will take a hiatus from the market for the time being, DirtWolf Double IPA will launch the brewery’s entry into four-packs when it begins to hit markets in October". “So a wolf and a prospector walked into a bar…,” joked President and Brewmaster, Bill Covaleski. “No, in all seriousness, Hop Wallop will be missed, but isn’t necessarily gone forever. We developed that brand 10 years ago as our flavorful response to the hop-bomb vogue of the time. But as brewers who enjoy experimenting with beer styles and ingredient varieties, we looked for the opportunity to do other interesting recipes as time passed. Making the decision to put Hop Wallop aside for a few years allows us to bring this delicious new double IPA, DirtWolf, to the market in bottles" (source).
- Bell's Cherry Stout, $2.69/12oz - "This unique ale begins its life as a powerful and richly sweet stout to which Michigan tart cherries are added. The resulting black brew is complex, sweet and tart with a distinct cherry finish. It will improve with cellaring" (source).
- Anderson Valley Winter Solstice, $2.19/12oz bottle, $1.99/12oz cans - "Each year, when people are starting to unpack their winter clothes and replenish their firewood, our tiny brewery in the coastal redwoods of Northern California makes seasonal preparations of a different kind. As the cold arrives, we release a unique beverage created to add warmth to even the coldest and darkest of winter's days. Winter Solstice Seasonal Ale begins with a very high original gravity to create a hearty and spicy brew with a deep amber hue and a smooth finish. Anderson Valley Brewing Company wishes you the very best for the holiday season and the New Year" (source).
- Big Sky Powder Hound Winer Ale, $1.69/12oz - "Powder Hound is our Winter Ale, and since it is our own creation we call it a Northern Rockies Strong Ale. Powder Hound satisfies, with the fine hand selected British hops fully complimenting the smooth malt notes. After a day on the ice or in the snow, enjoy a Powder Hound Winter Ale" (source).
- VanderGhinste Oud Bruin, $4.49/12oz - "VanderGhinste Old Brown in 1892 was originally called "old triple" and was the first beer that Omer Vander Ghinste on the market. It is a South West Flemish brown beer of mixed fermentation that is typical for this region. As basic ingredients for VanderGhinste Oud Bruin is used malted barley, wheat, caramel malt, hops and water. Creates a top-fermented beer made. By cutting this beer with beer of spontaneous fermentation, at least 18 months old, aged in oak barrels (= foeders), one obtains this specific South West Flemish Red-brown beer . The typical flavor is characterized by a harmonious balance of fruitiness of high fermentation with the gentle acidity of spontaneous fermentation beers and has a pronounced thirst quenching and refreshing aftertaste. VanderGhinste Old Brown belongs to the HORARB (Supreme Council for the authentic Flemish Red-brown beers) and strive for a European recognition after this type Reddish brown beers" (source).
- Two Beers Pumpkin Spice Ale, $7.19/22oz - "One of our fall seasonal beers, brewed in true small batch tradition. This beer is brewed with pumpkin, nutmeg, clove, allspice and cinnamon" (source).
Whiskey of the Week
- New Holland Bill's Michigan Wheat, $39.26/750ml - "This wheat whiskey is distilled from wheat grown and malted in our home state of Michigan. Its biscuity sweet malt and toasty character is an homage to craft distilling icon, Bill Owens" (source).