|Picture of the Year Runner-Up,|
The boss and his nephew at Deer Camp
Call it providence. The last New Beer Friday of the year arrives with only one new beer to introduce to our loyal readers. Some might consider that a shame; here at The Buzz, we consider it an opportunity—an opportunity to revisit a few of our favorite Buzz posts from 2012.
Before we get to all that, here's the description for the one, the only new beer to arrive this week at Siciliano's. Enjoy!
New (and Returning) Beer
- Frankenmuth 150th Anniversary Dark Lager, $24.19/33oz - "Celebrating 150 years of brewing history, Frankenmuth Brewery this week filled and labeled 1,862 bottles of a limited edition dark lager that includes some of an original batch of Frankenmuth Dark, first brewed in the 1940s. The one-liter bottles of 150th Anniversary Frankenmuth Dark Lager went on sale at the brewery Tuesday and remaining bottles will be sold through select Michigan retailers beginning the week of Dec. 3, brewery officials said. The original Frankenmuth Dark—which was kept under lock and key for an occasion such as this—was blended into the anniversary beer by brewmaster Jeff Coon" (source: The Detroit Free Press).
(Among) The Best of the Buzz, 2012
- Hey Kevin: "I Can't Grow a beard. What now?" - Our one-time advice columnist tackles a question for the ages.
- In Defense of Big Session - Staffer Doug Dorda defends the light lagers we all seem to love to hate.
- Hey Kevin: What's All This About a Pretzel Necklace?" - Another from our one-time advice columnist; in this one, Kevin explains the origin of the pretzel necklace, staple of Michigan's seasonal beer festivals.
- Founders Then & Now: A Meditation on Change - The bossman has been a "regular" at Founders for years; here's a piece on the uber-popular brewery from that perspective.
- Michigan MicroCaps: It's a Game About Beer - Our good friends at Fusionary Media built a smartphone game starring Michigan craft beer. You should play it.
- A Good Night on Grand Rapids' West Side - Former staffer, longtime contributor Wes Eaton filed this report from the west side (best side) of Grand Rapids.
- Treats from the Wild - Staffer John Barecki has two words: morel mushrooms
- Head Cheese, Your Weekly Ration (March 15) - A hilarious take on being short on cash.
- Michigan Beer Cup, A Recap - Includes a list of winners from this year's Michigan Beer Cup.
Please note: With over 200 posts in 2012, it was no easy task picking "The Best of The Buzz." If your personal favorite post didn't make it on the list, by all means, please let us know!
Picture of the Year
|Sam Siciliano, patriarch of the Siciliano family,|
makes a grand entrance at his grandson's wedding.