By Kati Spayde
The holiday season is upon us. And that usually means last minute shopping. At Siciliano’s, we believe beer always makes a great gift. To make your shopping experience a little smoother we have compiled this handy shopping guide to help you pick out the right beer for each person on your list.
- The Beer Novice - For your friend who hasn't entered the world of craft beer, we recommend a selection of American craft pilsners. With bolder flavors than typical light/lite beer, but nothing strong enough to scare your friend away. Try North Coast Schrimshaw ($1.89/12oz), Left Hand Polestar Pils ($1.99/12oz), Victory Prima Pils ($1.99/12oz).
- The Candy Kid - For people who love things that are sugary, bright and bubbly. Candy lovers will eagerly sip on fruit flavors like raspberry, peach and strawberry. Try Leifman’s Fruitesse ($10.09/750ml), Unity Vibration Raspberry Kombucha Beer ($7.89/22oz), and Lindeman’s Peche ($11.69/750ml).
- The History Buff - What’s a pre-prohibition porter? When were the beer purity laws enacted? If these are questions your friends can answer, here are the beers they need to try. 13th Century Grut Bier ($6.89/500ml), Traquair House Ale ($5.49/330ml), Alba Scots Pine Ale ($2.89/330ml).
- The Chocaholic - Who says chocolate is only good in food. Rich, velvety body and lush flavors make these beers the perfect replacement for a Whitman’s sampler. Rogue Double Chocolate Stout ($7.19/22), Southern Tier Choklat ($9.29/22oz), Founders Breakfast Stout ($2.59/12oz).
- The Hop Head - Hops, hops, hops. Do I need to say more? Lagunitas Hop Stoopid ($4.79/22oz), Stone Double Bastard ($7.59/22oz), Avery Maharaja ($8.09/22), Breckenridge 471 Double IPA ($3.09/12oz), Lagunitas Sucks ($1.99/12oz), Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale ($7.59/22oz), Avery Hog Heaven ($6.99/22oz).
- The Locavore - Do your friends have loads of pride for the mitten state? Do they try to buy products from within a 100-mile radius? Not a problem. Michigan is a virtual cornucopia of breweries and your gift might as well reflect it. Try New Holland Beer Hive and Mole Ocho ($8.19/22oz), Brewery Vivant Triomphe, Solitude or Farmhand ($2.69/16oz), Bell’s Double Crème Stout ($2.09/12oz), Bell's Cherry Stout ($2.69/12oz), Bell's Java Stout ($2.69/12oz). Anything from Founders.
- The Ultimate Beer Geek - They’ve tried everything. They can name every beer Founder’s has ever bottled. They're the first to know about limited releases. These are treats they might never have tried. Sierra Nevada Olvia Series Dubble and Saison ($11.49/750ml). Southern Tier Cuvee Series 2 ($11.29/22oz), Series 3 ($13.19/22oz). He'brew Jewbelation 15 ($6.49/22oz). Brooklyn Sorachi Ace ($13.79/750), Goose Island Fleur ($2.99/12oz).