Last Saturday fifty teams of homebrewers brewed over 300 gallons of Beer City Saison under sunny skies on the Calder Plaza in one the country’s largest celebrations of National Homebrew Day. The Fourth Annual Beer City Big Brew on the Calder was another huge success and demonstrated on a very public stage in downtown Beer City USA that the West Michigan homebrewing community is one of the most vibrant in the United States.
Siciliano’s Market, Coldbreak Brewing and Gravel Bottom Brewery & Supply would like to thank the three hundred plus passionate homebrewers for setting up their brewing and tapping systems on the Calder Plaza and for sharing their excellent handcrafted beer, cider and mead with the public during the event.
Special thanks to Grand Rapids Mayor Rosalynn Bliss and First Ward Commissioner Jon O’Connor for leading the gathering in the simultaneous, country-wide toast to the life enriching hobby of homebrewing.
Visit the Siciliano's Market Facebook page to see a full album of photos from the event.
New and Returning Beer
- Kona Lemongrass Luau, $1.69/12oz - "Ale brewed with ginger with lemongrass and ginger added" (source).
- Deschutes Hop Slice, $1.79/12oz - "A trio of hops come together in this crisp session IPA. Brewed with Meyer lemon, Hop Slice balances floral hop notes and a subtle citrus kick" (source).
- Farmhaus Caison, $3.59/16oz - "This delicious take on a saison has been aged for nearly a year, giving it a zesty funk that is great to sip on and really unique for a cider. Currently only available at Tripelroot and Siciliano's Market. Make sure you grab it before it's too late" (source).
- Right Brain Concrete Dinosaur, $6.49/22oz - "A blend of rye and roasty, chocolaty malts, with plenty of hop flavor and complexity" (source).
- Right Brain Blue Magic Lavender Wheat, $7.19/22oz - "Blue Magic Lavender Wheat Ale is a uniquely different & refreshing brew. Did we mention it’s magical too? It’s brewed with local honey from Honey Pot Priory & fresh local lavender from Light Of Day Organics. This is a straight forward wheat with dried lavender. This brew has a floral nose and a wheat finish" (source).
- Anchorage Love Buzz, $15.99/750ml - "Saison brewed with spices and aged in French oak Pinot Noir barrels" (source).
- Green Bench Grisettes, $11.99/500ml - "Introducing the first release in our 100% Brettanomyces line, Les Grisettes. At under 4%, Les Grisette is a traditional style farmhouse ale brewed with Spelt, Buckwheat, Rye, and Oats, fermented on our house mixed culture of wild yeast. Grisettes were originally brewed for coal miners in the Hainaut region of Wallonia, Belgium. The name refers to the “gray” garments the women wore that delivered the beer to the miners. They were known as Les Grisettes." (source).
- Green Bench Saison de Banc Vert, $11.99/500ml - "Saisons, or Farmhouse Ales, were originally brewed as a summer seasonal in the French-speaking region of Belgium. Dry and crisp, our “Green Bench Saison” is packed with fruity esters similar to citrus fruits and spicy, peppercorn-like phenols from our farmhouse yeast strain" (source).
- Green Bench Saison de Banc Noir, $11.99/500ml - "By combining the the rustic, peppery flavors of our farmhouse yeast strain with the complex dark fruit notes of roasted wheat and dark Belgian candi syrups, we’ve created an intricately delicate “Black Saison” that contains ornate notes of raisins, dark grape, and peppercorns" (source).
- Prairie Birthday Bomb, $11.39/12oz - "Birthday Bomb! was conceived to celebrate three wonderful years of experimentation and fun loving flavors like the current incarnation with caramel sauce. Made in house by our brewers with nothing but black gloves and a propane tank. The rest is the complex mix of hops and malt with a healthy dose of the signature coffee and spices. You know exactly what we’re talking about." (source).
- Prairie Vous Francais, $11.39/750ml - "Prairie-Vous Francais is a celebration of simple elegance. This farmhouse ale is brewed to be refreshing. We use barley, oats, and wheat to build a foundation for saaz hops and brettanomyces bruxellensis to play. You’ll find this beer to be slightly tart and a touch hoppy. Prairie-Vous Francais is one of our many farmhouse beers we hope you will love as much as we do" (source).
- To Øl Gossip Gose, $5.99/12oz - "We bring to you a German style Gose brewed with a generous amount of rose hip. Sour and crisp - salty and fruity" (source).
- To Øl Sur Citra, $5.99/12oz - "Sour pale dry hopped with Citra" (source).
- To Øl Sur Simcoe, $6.49/16oz - "Endnu en i rækken af syrlige IPA’er med enkel humleprofil. Her har de udelukkende brugt Simcoe-humle, som tilføre aroma af passionsfrugt, abrikos og gran" (source).
- Avery Perzik, $2.29/12oz - "A classic saison—dry, crisp, fruity, spicy and refreshing—with a dose of summer—peaches" (source).
- Odd Side Joker of Tart, $9.69/500ml - "Sour wheat beer with blueberries added" (source).
- Odd Side Pineapple IPA, $2.29/12oz - "Fresh cut pineapples brewed in an IPA…need I say more" (source).
- Gonzo's BiggDogg Burning Sun Red, $2.69/16oz - "A smooth, creamy amber ale showcasing Caramel and Bonlander malts. Tastefully hopped for a unique take on a time honored style" (source).
- Weyerbacher Tarte Nouveau, $2.69/12oz - "We’ve taken our Tarte Nouveau, added blood orange and then bottle conditioned it. The result? The pour has a nice, effervescent head with a big citrus aroma. First sip has a tart bite with a lingering orange/citrus flavor. The finish? Clean and crisp. Available in 750ml bottles only and only available in our tasting room" (source).
- Weyerbacher Single IPA #1, $2.29/12oz - "IPA #1, features a blend of classic hops, Centennial and Cascade, along with new varieties, Calypso and Equinox" (source).
- Anderson Valley Salted Carmel BBA Porter, $11.99/22oz - "Aged for 6 months in Wild Turkey bourbon barrels, our Salted Caramel is woody and slightly sweet with notes of vanilla and coconut. It’s smooth with a medium-light body and mouthfeel and a light banana/fruit aroma. There’s some caramel and peanut brittle flavors but not cloying or overpowering" (source).
- Coronado Berry the Hatchet, $2.29/12oz - "Brewed with raspberry, boysenberry, blackberry" (source).
- Coronado Stingray, $2.19/12oz - "Named after a serene Coronado shoreline where locals soak up sun and suds. This easy-drinking IPA will transport you to a tropical paradise the moment it hits your lips. Citra, Mosaic, Simcoe and Southern Cross hops provide flavors and aromas of tropical fruits and sun-kissed citrus with soft accents of nectarine and peach" (source).
- Coronado Orange Wit, $1.89/12oz - "This So-Cal take on a traditional witbier honors Coronado’s main street, which is home to our brewpub and was once lined with orange trees. Bolstered by orange zest, coriander and orange blossom honey, it’s Belgium by way of Coronado. Expect a refreshing, light-bodied brew rife with citrus zing and a hint of earthy spice" (source).
- Dark Horse Smells Like a Safety Meeting, $2.19/12oz - "S.L.A.S.M. is our most Aromatic IPA. This India Pale Ale is very reminiscent of the hop’s cousin in the Mulberry family. Lots of hop aroma with just the right amount of bitterness as we like to keep balance around here. Between the secret blend of the most DANK hops we can get our hands on and a "more than healthy" dose of double dry hopping, this beer can be announced to the nose from across the room that someone is definitely having a Safety Meeting" (source).
- Dark Horse BBA Scotty Karate, $4.49/12oz - "It is hard to believe it has been 10 years, since we first released Scotty Karate Scotch Ale! What better way to celebrate the decade than to release a Bourbon Barrel Aged edition of this mighty fine Scotch Ale" (source).
- New Holland Dragons Milk Reserve Coffee Chocolate, $4.29/12oz - "Indulgence is Dragon’s Milk aged with coffee and chocolate. Rich, indulgent chocolate flavors are seductively punctuated with dark and roasty coffee bitterness" (source).
- North Peak Mighty Melon, $1.99/12oz - "This sessionable melon ale boasts aromas of watermelon, berry and guava. This exceptionally drinkable beer is the perfect balance of malts, melons and gently-hopped Vanguard, crystal and Michigan chinook hops" (source).
- Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Packs, $31.99/12pk - "Sierra Nevada partnered with a dozen exceptional craft breweries to create 12 different beers for one mixed 12-pack—including 10 bottles and two cans—a first in the craft beer world. These brewers will board the Beer Camp Across America tour bus later this month and hit the open road to take part in the largest craft beer celebration in history. Craft drinkers can explore all dozen beers in full detail at www.SierraNevada.com/BeerCamp."
Video of the Week | Long Road Distillers
Congrats to our friends down at Long Road, named one of the best
new distilleries in the world by Time Out New York.