|The Siciliano's Cup|
Tomorrow a group of BJCP-certified judges, commercial brewers and industry professionals will gather at the Guest House in Grand Rapids to judge the 172 entries that were submitted in the 13th Annual Siciliano’s Homebrew Competition. Each of those entries will be evaluated according to BJCP style guidelines, many will be awarded gold, silver or bronze medals, and the name of another Best of Show winner will be added to the Siciliano’s Cup. The BOS winner will also have the opportunity to brew the winning recipe on Trail Point Brewery’s seven-barrel system and will receive a $500.00 gift card from Siciliano’s Market.
The awards ceremony and the presentation of the Siciliano’s Cup will be the highlight of the 13th Annual Siciliano’s Homebrew Party on Saturday, May 21, at Johnson Park. If you entered the competition but will not be attending the party you may pick up your score sheet (and medal) at Siciliano’s Market beginning on Sunday, May 22. If you live outside of the Grand Rapids area and would like your score sheet and medal mailed to you, contact me at this address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tickets for the 13th Annual Siciliano’s Homebrew Party are $45.00 and may be purchased in person at the store or with a credit card over the phone by calling 616-453-9674.
In other news, everything is set for the Fourth Annual Beer City Big Brew on the Calder sponsored by Siciliano’s Market, Coldbreak Brewing and Gravel Bottom Brewery & Supply. On Saturday, May 7, forty-eight teams of homebrewers will be brewing up batches of Beer City Saison on the Calder Plaza in downtown Grand Rapids from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Samples of homebrew will be available for those who have attained the legal drinking age and food will be available for purchase from Patty Matters food truck. The Big Brew event is free of charge and is open to the public. Watch the video below for more information.
Finally, we have a few hop rhizomes left from this year’s pre-order that we are selling on a first come first serve basis for $5.00 each. Call 616-453-9674 for the specific varieties.
New and Returning Beer
- Founders Palm Reader Pale Ale, $1.79/12oz - "Palm Reader is made with Michigan-grown Crystal and Zuper-Saazer hops. Derived from Saaz, a traditional noble hop hailing from the Czech Republic, these Zuper-Saazer hops, grown locally at Hop Head Farms, impart intense and fruity aromas. Combined with the citrus notes of the Crystal hops and the simple malt bill, this beer is crisp, bright and delicious" (source).
- Alaskan Kicker Session IPA, $1.69/12oz - "Inspired by 24 hours of daylight, Kicker Session IPA is an anytime brew with fruity Citra and Amarillo hops and a burst of bright citrus Simcoe hop aroma" (source).
- Left Hand Good Juju, $2.09/12oz - "Fresh ginger kisses the lithe malty body, copulating with the hop in this pale ale ancestor. Emancipate yourself from the dead of winter, none but the vernal equinox can free the light. A refreshing frivolity. Hey mon. Shuccha fwangaa! Better a witch doctor than a trouble maker. Quit yor’ bitchin’ an’ get to witchin'" (source).
- Southern Tier Three Citrus Peel Out, $7.79/22oz - "3 Citrus Peel Out is an Imperial Wheat Ale brewed with blood orange juice, tangerine and grapefruit peels. 3 Citrus Peel Out is the newest in the company’s seasonal Imperial Series. It features an 8.5% ABV, a grain bill consisting of 35% wheat, CTZ & Mosaic hops and a walloping amount of citrus. Over four and a half pounds of tangerine & grapefruit peel per barrel accompany tropical flavors from Mosaic hops and an added boost of blood orange juice during fermentation. This refreshing brew sits around 30 IBU and its nice citrus pith complements the bitterness. Residual sweetness helps accentuate the fruity character and masks the 8.5% ABV well" (source).
- Lagunitas Lucky 13, $2.19/12oz - "An ultra-mega-mondo red ale first made for our anniversary in 2006 to celebrate thirteen years of brewing ultra-mega-mondo ales" (source).
- Odd Side Chilling The Most, $1.99/12oz - "Dry hopped lager" (source).
- Odd Side Troll Toll, $1.99/12oz - "Session IPA brewed with lactose" (source).
- Short's Melt Your Brain, $1.99/12oz - "Melt My Brain is an experimental Golden Ale brewed with coriander, juniper berries, limes and blended with Short’s made tonic water to create the tasting experience of drinking a gin and tonic cocktail. Delicate aromas of citrus and pine flow into bold bright flavors of sweet lime with a slightly sticky bitterness. Refreshing and clean, a tasty tonic effervescence provokes the palate for more" (source).
Video of the Week | Big Brew News