This is a picture of my daughter Ava when she was very young. She’s nine now (going on 21) and either she’s going to end up the nation’s best lawyer, or West Michigan’s new millennium version of her Grandma Pat (a powerhouse in the insurance business). Miss Ava is a cancer survivor. She was only two years when she was diagnosed and treated by Dr. Dickens from the Helon Devos Children's Hospital. Her tumor manifested in her cheek below her eye and if you look closely you can see her nose is slightly smaller on one side of her face. Ava’s treatment consisted of radiation and chemotherapy that lasted eight months.
On May 14th, 2016 I am running the 5/3 Riverbank Run in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Why? Not because I'm crazy (although sometimes it feels that way). It started out as a way to lose some weight and get in better shape but when I signed up it turned out to be something more.
Turns out I can run and raise money for Stand Up 2 Cancer. If you don't know about the organization, you should. It's doing amazing things in the field of cancer research and helping to find ways to cure cancer and mitigate the side effects of treatment. This is outlined in a recent article about Ava's doctor who utilized research from a Stand Up 2 Cancer team to treat a young boy.
I'm proud to ask you to donate to my cause. Help me support the countless Americans who have fought, who are fighting and who are feeling the effects of cancer and its treatment. The goal is to find a cure with minimal side effects (and finish the race in under 2 hours!)
Want to know more about my family's story with cancer? Read this. Want to come train with me or follow my training? Bump me on RunKeeper. The entire Siciliano family appreciates your support!
New and Returning Beer
- Dark Horse Bourbon Barrel Aged Scotty Karate, $4.49/12oz (4 per) - Scotch Ale aged in Bourbon barrels.
- Founders Mosaic Promise, $1.79/12oz - "Mosaic Promise showcases two unique ingredients: Mosaic hops and Golden Promise malt. The versatility of the hop’s pleasing aroma and flavor characteristics and the traditional barley’s depth of flavor comprise this clean, rich, golden beer. We can brew complex beers with the best of them, but we recognize that there is also beauty in simplicity" (source).
- Pigeon Hill OPC, $2.19/12oz - "Oatmeal Crème Pie is the result of a challenge made by Joel Kamp’s wife: “I want a beer that tastes like an oatmeal crème pie.” Through the use of oats, marshmallow fluff, and other highly secret ingredients, O.C.P. was born. Tasting notes: Seriously, it tastes just like an oatmeal crème pie" (source).
- Alaskan Summer Kolsch, $1.69/12oz - "Just when you’ve had enough of winter, we release Alaskan Summer Ale in March. This traditional Kölsch beer is a great way to celebrate warmer weather and more daylight. Its crisp, clean flavor is the perfect complement for crab, halibut, salads and longer days" (source).
- New Belgium + Hof ten Dormaal Lips of Faith, $3.29/12oz - "A deliciously uncommon springtime beer, our Golden Ale brewed with Hof Ten Dorsal blends modern Mosaic hops and malted sunflower seeds with Old World ingredients such as Saaz hops, spelt, and wild carrot herbs. It’s New and Old Belgium together in a bottle" (source).
- Deschutes Hop Henge, $6.69/22oz - "Stonehenge is a mystery. Hop Henge is a discovery. Millennium, Mandarina Bavaria, and experimental hops come together to erect a hop sanctuary. Revere the almighty hop" (source).
- Rockford Big Jack Horner, $16.99/750ml - "The richest and strongest of the English Ales, yet not as hop focused as American versions. Historically English Barleywines were brewed for the winter or holiday season. A showcase of malty richness and complex, intense flavors balanced with higher levels of warm alcohol. We aged ours with fresh Michigan plums grown by the Meachum family at High Acres Fruit Farm in Hartford, MI, which add a pleasant, soft fruitiness to the background" (source).
- Rockford Shanty Warmer, $16.99/750ml - "An intensely rich Imperial stout with a big, bold flavor! Loaded with a deep malt complexity of molasses, bittersweet chocolate and dark caramel with hints of prune, licorice and raisin. Aged 6 months in Stainless Steel vessels" (source).
- Short's Goodnight Bodacious, $2.39/12oz - "Goodnight Bodacious has the maltiness of a barleywine and the hoppiness of an India Pale Ale. A rich, hoppiness dominates the aroma, with earthy and loamy scents. A medium body presents big, bitter black barley and roasted coffee flavors, with subtle compliments of dark fruit and green hops. Strong alcohol flavors and pleasant warming qualities become more noticeable as the beer approaches room temperature" (source).
- O'Fallon Strawberry, $2.09/12oz - "Try our new refreshingly light and crisp Strawberry Best! We start with an American Wheat style recipe that’s a perfect compliment for fruit. We add real strawberry puree to the secondary fermentation, which gives the beer a naturally subtle strawberry flavor and aroma with a slight tartness. Light in color and soft in bitterness this beer is designed specifically to be enjoyed during the hot summer months" (source).
- Lagunitas Aunt Sally, $1.99/12oz - "Dry-hopped sweet tart sour mash ale" (source).
- Atwater VJ Black, $2.99/12oz - "A huge Imperial Stout based on their best seller. Thick, Black as Tar and Brewed with 6 different malts and Barley flakes and Magnum Hops. The rest is a secret" (source).
- Oddside Simcoe, $1.99/12oz - "Simcoe Sensation is a seductive brew with succulent simcoe hops and a splash of sublime spunk. When you pop the top, an aroma of pine, resin and grapefruit with permeate the air" (source).
- Vander Mill / Green Bush Green Mill Cyser, $14.49/22oz - "It is in the spirit of camaraderie that we present Green Mill, a collaborative cyser made with our friends at Greenbush Brewing Company. Michigan apple juice and wildflower honey provide an experience at once sweet and dry, while aging in Greenbush's Delusion barrels a distinct bourbon character. Here's to great friends" (label).
- Prairie Brewing with Friends, TRVE Editions, $11.39/500ml - "A collaboration between our friends at TRVE Brewing in Denver and us, and the beer turned out just as great as we had hoped! This beer is a red sour that has amazing dark fruit/cherry notes that are highlighted by a delicate tart base. The citra hops balance everything out with the perfect amount of citrus" (source).
- Nickel Brook Bolshevik Bastard, $3.39/12oz - "Our Nickel Brook 'Bolshevik Bastard' Russian Imperial Stout is scientific creation brewed especially for those of you who aren't afraid of big and bold flavours! Made with a blend of Roasted, Chocolate and Crystal malts; this Imperial Stout exhibits many deep flavours of rich, roasty chocolate and dark fruit. To counterbalance the sweetness, the Bolshevik Bastard is aggressively hopped to give rise to this remarkably smooth Russian Imperial Stout" (source).
- Nickel Brook Naughty Neighbor, $2.79/12oz - "Sometimes our neighbours are just too enticing to resist! In this case, our newest ward-winning product pays homage to our naughty neighbours to the south, as our American Pale Ale has something for everyone! For hop lovers, the huge aroma of citrus and pine greet the nose and the hops continue on the palate as hoppy flavour persists, leaving a remarkably easy drinking crisp, dry finish. We pack all this hop aroma and flavour in a brew that is only 4.9% on purpose, which leaves a hugely sessionable beer that is perfectly refreshing on hot summer days! No additives. No preservatives. Naturally carbonated for a smooth, crisp finish" (source).
- Nickel Brook Head Stock, $2.79/12oz - "Our amazing co-founder Peter Romano loves his pumpkin beer. Peter is also known to get rather excited from time to time. So in his honour, we created 'Pissed Off Pete's' Pumpkin Porter! We fused together the deep chocolate and roast flavours from a robust porter with traditional pumpkin and spices found in your mothers best pumpkin pie" (source).
Picture of the Week | Joeberon
|In case you haven't heard, Oberon is here.|