View our Main Site »

Friday, June 26, 2015

New Beer Friday, Problem Solver Edition (June 26)

Preamble by Steve Siciliano

“I’m hoping you can help me,” said the man who came into the store as soon as I unlocked the door last Saturday morning.

“I’ll try,” I said. “What’s up?”

He explained that he had purchased a keg of Newcastle for a party that he was having that afternoon and he needed a CO2 tank to dispense the beer.

“Do you have a regulator?” I asked.

“No,” he said. “Do I need a regulator, too?”

“I’m afraid so,” I said. “What exactly do you have?”

“Just the thing that connects to the keg.”

“The coupler?” I asked.

“That’s right,” he said. “Something called an S coupler.”

“Is there a beer line and a faucet connected to the coupler?”

He shook his head. “A few days after I ordered the keg the store called and told me that Newcastle takes a special coupler. They didn’t have one so I ordered it online.”

“Ah,” I said. “Now I understand.” I proceeded to tell him how much it would cost for a CO2 tank, regulator, tail pieces, clamps, gas line, beer line and plastic cobra tap.

“That’s a lot of money for something I might never use again,” he said.

“It is,” I agreed.

“Well,” he said. “I guess I don’t have a choice.”

“If I had the right part I would be happy to take an air pump off one of my taps and hook it up to your coupler,” I said. “But I don’t have the right union. Do you have the coupler with you?” I asked after thinking for a few moments.

“No, but I can go get it.”

While the man was gone, I gathered some hardware, hoses, clamps and a faucet and removed an air pump for one of our picnic taps. He returned with the coupler thirty minutes later and while I assembled the make-shift tap he perused the store and brought a couple of bags of bulk tea up to the sales counter.

“This is a nice store.”

“Thank you," I said. “First time here?”

“Yes. I called a friend and told him my predicament and he suggested I come here.”

“The threads don’t match but I think this will be fine,” I said while trying the pump. “This will save you a few bucks. Let me know how it works.”

“More than a few,” he said after seeing the total rung up on the cash register. "Thank you.”

“Glad to help,” I said, and made a mental note to order a few of the unions.

A few days later I received the following email:
Hi, Steve 
Just wanted to let you know that your jury-rigged pump worked great. In fact it is still pumping brown nectar. So, thank you for saving the day and my wallet!
The tea is great and I am spreading the word about your fine establishment.

See you soon!
Over the years I’ve had the good fortune of dealing with countless people in countless businesses who were willing to go the extra mile to resolve a problem. It’s nice when an opportunity arises where I can do the same.

The makeshift Newcastle tap

New and Returning Beer

  • Victory Summer Love, $1.69/12oz can - "The brew has a vibrant and refreshing pale color derived from its lean and refreshing malt body. And the initially floral aroma of hops segues into a well integrated, refreshing hop dryness of European heritage" (source).
  • Great Lakes Rye of the Tiger, $1.69/12oz - "This kitty has claws. Named for its one-two punch of fierce hops and sharp rye content,our Rye of the Tiger India Pale Ale is a thrilling ale with bite, handcrafted for the fighter in all of us. Like tigers creeping through tall grass, hopheads will stalk this majestic golden brew, rising to the challenge of its bold flavor attack. Full-bodied and loaded with hops, our Rye of the Tiger IPA is brewed with rye malt, adding a spicy complexity to every sip. It’s an ale meant to inspire feats of strength and skill, a worthy contender in the bout against the flavorless. If you can step into the ring with this hopped-up cat, you’ve earned your stripes" (source).
  • Atwater Michelada, $1.99/16oz can - "Mix up some craft beer, pickle and lime juices, bloody mary spices and a dash of made-in-Detroit marketing mojo, and presto! — an all-new craft Michelada product is launching this week in Michigan, jointly created by two growing Detroit brands, McClure's and Atwater Brewery" (source).
  • Founder's Double Trouble, $3.09/12oz - "An imperial IPA that was brewed to turn your world upside down. Hops have got you coming and going. Pungent aromatics up front paired with a malt balanced backbone and a smooth bitter finish" (source).
  • Brewery Vivant Beach Patrol, $3.39/16oz can - "A crushable cloudy wheat beer, accented with coriander and fermented with our farmhouse yeast. Perfect to pass around the bonfire after a long day of swimming laps or soaking up the sun" (source).
  • Unibrou Pear Ephemere, $7.59/750ml - "Mild ripe pears complemented by a distinctive wheat acidity. A feeling of freshness which is intensified by a spicy finish" (source).
  • New Belgium Shift, $1.59/12oz can-12oz - "New Belgium employee-owners work in shifts to brew to life world-class beers. Those efforts are rewarded daily with a shared end-of-shift beer. We’re passing that welcomed occasion onto consumers in this lightly-hopped Shift Pale Lager. From work to play, from bottle to can, from bold and heavy to refreshing and sessionable" (source).
  • New Belgium Snapshot, $1.59/12oz can - "Snap! You just captured an unfiltered wheat beer full of refreshment and a flash of tart at the finish. Smile-inducing aromas of citrus hops jump from the nose, accompanied by the sweetness of coriander and grains of paradise. Brewed with wheat and pale malt, SNAPSHOT BEER pours a hazy, lemon-yellow with bright-white lacing. But the real enticement is the snap of tart. New Belgium’s affinity for sour beers led to the in-process blending of lactobacillus to pucker up Snapshot’s base. An extra step to acidify and beautify and get this beer ready for its close up" (source).
  • New Belgium Slow Ride, $1.59/12oz can - "Kicking back and relaxing with a session beer requires little more than a couch, some free time, and a few pals. SLOW RIDE SESSION IPA is up for this easy-going challenge, starting with a pour of sheened gold and plenty of fluffy, white foam. A blend of eight hop varieties, led by exotic Mosaic and Nelson Sauvin, twist together brilliant tropical scents of melon, peach, lime and grapefruit for a vividly fruity aroma. The flavor mirrors the aroma, while balancing a malty-sweet yet clean start and hoppy bitterness in the back. Light bodied and extra quaffable, this sessionable India Pale Ale brings the finish line to you" (source).

Blank Space of the Week







Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment