|Steve at last year's Big Brew event|
This is the time of year when Team Siciliano begins doing some preliminary planning on our annual trifecta of spring home brew events.
The following is a list of this year’s pertinent dates. Stay tuned to The Buzz for further information and periodic updates.
- Siciliano’s Twelfth Annual Homebrew Competition – Entries will be accepted from Monday, March 23 through Sunday, April 12th, or until 250 entries are submitted. Judging will be held on Saturday, April 25th at the Guest House on Stocking Avenue.
- The Third Annual Siciliano’s Big Brew at the Calder – Saturday, May 2nd at the Calder Plaza in downtown Grand Rapids.
- The Twelfth Annual Siciliano’s Homebrew Party – Saturday, May 16th at Johnson Park.
New and Returning Beers
- Right Brain Firestarter Chipotle Porter, $7.19/22oz - "Dark porter with chocolate malt. Subtle smokiness and mild heat" (source).
- Vivant Ski Patrol, $3.39/16oz - Belgian inspired wit with black cardamom & orange peel.
- Arbor Mr. Delicious, $2.89/12oz - "This beer leads off with a stiff round-house punch of citrusy hops, follows up with a quick kick of bready malts and warming alcohol, and finishes with a powerful and lingering bite of complex layered hops. This popular brew was inspired by ABC founder, head brewer and spiritual leader Matt Greff whose cartoon enhanced image graces the label" (source).
- Thirsty Dog Barrel Aged Siberian Night, $6.89/12oz - "We took our award winning Siberian Night Russian Imperial Stout and aged it for 11 months in fresh bourbon barrels. The result blew us away. The dark chocolate malt yields a milk chocolate flavor that blends perfectly with the vanilla flavor from the barrel. The bourbon aroma adds the finishing touch" (source).
- Thirsty Dog Barrel Aged Wulver, $6.89/12oz - "We made this beer specifically for bourbon barrels. The result is our most acclaimed bourbon barrel beer. Bourbon barrel aging and specialty malts create flavors of vanilla and carmel that blend in perfect balance" (source).
- Blue Moon First Peach Ale, $1.49/12oz - "Ale brewed with coriander with peaches and natural peach flavor added" (source).
- Odd Side Java Mint Chip, $2.29/12oz (limit 2) - "Craving ice cream? This stout will ease your taste buds. It the perfect marriage of mint-chocolate-chip-ice cream and roasted coffee" (source).
- Stone Enjoy By 02.14.15., $7.69/22oz (limit 1) - "You have in your hands a devastatingly desirable double IPA. While freshness is a key component of many beers – especially big, citrusy, floral IPAs – we’ve taken it further, a lot further, in this IPA. You see, we specifically brewed it NOT to last. We’ve not only gone to extensive lengths to ensure that you’re getting this beer in your hands within an extraordinarily short window, we made sure that the Enjoy By date isn’t randomly etched in tiny text somewhere on the label, to be overlooked by all but the most attentive of retailers and consumers. Instead, we’ve sent a clear message with the name of the beer itself that there is no better time than right now to enjoy this IPA" (source).
- Stone Baird Ishii Japanese Green Tea IPA, $9.49/22oz (limit 1) - See video below.
- B. Nektar Apple PI, $12.89/375ml - "The holidays are over, but it doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy some delicious pie. Ours is made from fresh apple cider, honey, and pie spices. Perfect after dinner sipper" (source).
- Bell's Smitten Rye PA, $1.79/12oz - "Drawn from one of our oldest recipes, Smitten Ale began as part of a series of rye beers at our Eccentric Café. The combination of sharp citrus & resinous flavors from the hops with the earthy, rustic overtones of the rye malt contribution yield an interesting take on the American Pale Ale" (source).
- Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, $2.59/12oz - "Bigfoot is a beast of a beer, brimming with bold flavors of bittersweet malt and heaps of aggressive whole-cone Pacific Northwest hops. First introduced in the winter of 1983, Bigfoot is a cult-classic beer brewed in the barleywine style, meaning a strong, robust, bruiser of a beer with the refined intensity of a wine. Bigfoot is prized by beer collectors for its supreme cellarability. Under the proper conditions, it can age like a fine wine, developing new flavors and character as it matures in the bottle. Each new release or 'expedition' is vintage dated. Collect your own and see the flavors develop and progress" (source).
- Sam Adams Double Bock, $7.19/22oz - "Dark ruby color, strong malt and caramel character; very smooth, full-bodied, low/medium bitterness" (source).
- Abita Macchiato Milk Stout, $4.69/22oz - "The Abita Macchiato gained its inspiration from the Macchiato coffee drink, capturing the perfect balance between sweetness and bitterness. The Abita Macchiato is made with pale, caramel, chocolate and roasted malts. Oats and lactose are added to give the beer a more robust and sweeter taste. The sweetness of the lactose helps balance the bitterness of the brew. The roasted malts give the beer its dark color as well as its intense flavor and aroma. Willamette hops are added to balance out the sweetness of the malts. Finally, PJ's espresso dolce beans are added to the aging tank. This gives the beer a strong coffee flavor and aroma that compliments the existing flavors of the malt" (source).
Video of the Week | Japanese Green Tea IPA