|A celebrity guest at the first|
Big Brew on the Calder.
We are very excited about the fact that we now have a dedicated web site for the annual Siciliano’s Homebrew Contests. General registration for the competition will open this year on Monday, March 9 at 8 a.m. and will close Sunday, April 12 at 10 p.m. The window for entry registration will open Monday, March 23 at 8 a.m. and close Sunday, April 12 at 10 p.m. Complete competition details can be found on the site. Once your entry is registered you will be able to print entry forms and bottle labels. Please note that we are loooking for more stewards and qualified judges for the competition. The registration for judging and stewarding is open now. The pertinent information can be found on the competition web site under Volunteer Info.
Just a reminder that the Best-of-Show winner for the 2015 Siciliano’s Homebrew Contest will receive a $500.00 gift card from Siciliano’s Market and will have the opportunity to brew the winning recipe on Odd Side Ales’ one-barrel pub system.
There are still a few open spots for brewing teams for the Third Annual Siciliano’s Big Brew on the Calder. Complete details for the May 2nd event can be found here. Anyone interested in being assigned as a brew team captain can contact Steve at this address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are returning to the popular Johnson Park on Saturday, May 16 for the 12th Annual Siciliano’s Homebrew Party. Tickets are $40.00 per person and will go on sale Monday, March 23. Tickets are limited and must be purchased in advance. Please note that party attendees will again be receiving T-shirts this year and we will be asking for sizes at the time you purchase your ticket. If you are purchasing tickets for a spouse, friend, family member or significant other, you will need to know the correct size. Please don’t guess.
New and Returning Beer
- Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA, $1.99/12oz - "This mouthwateringly delicious IPA gets its flavor from a heavy helping of citra and mosaic hops. Don’t worry, no fruit was harmed in the making of this beer" (source).
- Deschutes Black Butte XXVI, $17.19/22oz (limit 1) - "Our 26th anniversary Imperial Porter was aged in bourbon barrels and dry spiced with Theo Chocolate's cocoa nibs, revealing hints of vanilla and chocolate. Pomegranate molasses and Oregon cranberries complement the robust flavor with a hint of fruit and just enough tart to make you smile" (source).
- Deschutes Jubel 2015, $17.19/22oz (limit 1) - "Affectionately referred to as “Super Jubel”, Jubel 2015 is an imperial take on our festive winter ale. Notes of toasted caramel, raisins, dates and figs are complemented by spicy and herbal hop aromas. Originally planned as a once-a-decade-ale; we just couldn’t wait another five years" (source).
- Deschutes Mirror Mirror Oak Aged Barley Wine, $17.19/22oz (limit 1) - "The Reserve Series romance all began with our first release of this limited-edition brew. Mirror Mirror, born of a double batch of Mirror Pond Pale Ale, is an inspired barley wine ale layered with intriguing nuances. Explore this latest incarnation and enjoy its delicious complexity in every sip" (source).
- Deschutes Not the Stoic, $17.19/22oz (limit 1) - "Aged and sequestered in select oak casks. The result – a contemplatively brewed quad created in homage to all those who doubted the original. This unrepentant rendition is definitively Not The Stoic" (source).
- Griffin Claw Mr. Blue Skies, $2.19/16oz - "This American wheat ale is crisp and refreshing light in appearance and a slight haze makes this the perfect summer beer" (source).
- Breckenridge Ophelia, $1.99/12oz - "Subtle hints of citrus round out the complex aroma of Mosaic hops, for a beer so drinkable, it’ll last through multiple acts" (source).
- Shorts Woodmaster, $2.39/12oz - "Woodmaster is a high gravity, American Brown Ale fermented with Northern Michigan maple syrup and toasted pecans. This dark brown, full bodied ale is rich with sweet malt and syrup flavors. These flavors are complemented by the presence of hop aromas and a faint nuttiness" (source).
- Weyerbacher Heresy, $3.39/12oz - "We take our Old Heathen and age it in oak bourbon barrels. The result is our silky smooth Heresy, 8% ABV. The aroma is filled with vanilla, cocoa and roasted coffee. Notes of oak, whiskey, roasted barley and vanilla dance across your taste buds. This dark stout is the perfect accompaniment for hearty stews and roasted meats. Heresy is also great in brownies, poured over ice cream or as that secret ingredient in your favorite icing recipe" (source).
Pic(s) of the Week | Homemade Bread
We're pleased to announce the return of bread ingredients to Siciliano's. Come check out our selection and feel free to use our flour mill to grind your very own whole wheat flour.
|Smoked Cheddar Red Pepper Flake No Knead Bread (recipe)|
|Homemade whole wheat tortillas with fresh-milled flour (recipe)|
|Pizza Siciliano with fresh-milled flour (recipe)|
|Roasted Garlic No Knead (recipe)|
|Green Olive No Knead (recipe)|