It is with mixed emotions that I am prefacing this week’s New Beer Friday with the news that long time staffer Greg Johnson is leaving Siciliano’s Market to take a position as assistant cider maker at Virtue Cider in Fennville, Michigan.
While we share Greg’s excitement as he begins this new phase of his career, we are certainly sorry to see him go. In his six years at the store Greg has proved to be a valuable employee. He played a key role in the planning and execution of our expansion a few years back and was the project manager for our recent reconfiguration of the homebrew area. Greg was also responsible for the weekly ordering of a good percentage of our homebrewing inventory and he did a great job in organizing and managing our annual homebrew competition.
Of course the minor sting of losing a valuable employee is soothed by the fact that another Siciliano’s alumnus will be working as a professional in the local brewing industry.
We wish Greg much success with his new position, and we dedicate this New Beer Friday to him. In his honor we present the latest beers to arrive at Siciliano's.
New and Returning Beer at Siciliano's
- Bell's Oracle, $2.99/12oz - "Our take on the West Coast-style Double India Pale Ale, The Oracle places hop intensity first & foremost, making only the slightest concession to malt & balance. The fireworks start with the floral aromatic punch of two separate dry-hop sessions with Amarillo and NZ Pacific Jade. Resinous, citrusy hop flavors mixed with aggressive bitterness from a massive kettle addition deliver on that aromatic promise" (source).
- New Castle Werewolf, $1.49/12oz - "What better way to toast the fall than to have a bottle of this formidable, dual character brew. At first smooth with mellow overtones of sweet berry fruit, a bite of bitterness suddenly cuts through, long, deep and lingering. Brewed with Rye Malt, it is naturally "blood red" in colour. Unlike the mythical wolf-like creature said to roam the bleak moorland surrounding Newcastle, this is real, so consider yourself warned!" (source).
- New Belgium Lips of Faith Yuzo Berliner Weisse, $9.19/22oz - "Yuzu is a strange fruit- citrusy and bold. Those three words: strange, citrus and bold are the perfect beginnings for a great beer. So, our brewers paired yuzu with the sourness of a Berlinerweiss to create this beerlicious Yuzu Berlinerweiss. Brewed with pale malt and wheat this Berlinerwiess was acidified with Lactobacillus for a light, dry mouthfeel and tart refreshment. Hazy and straw-colored, the yuzu fruit brings a tropical charm to a traditional beer" (source).
- New Belgium Lips of Faith Coconut Curry Hefeweizen, $9.19/22oz - "Coconut Curry Hefeweizen has been pouring down the history of American Home Brewing for many years, from the legendary Charlie Papazian to the 2010 National Homebrewer, Remi Bonnart. The latter helped New Belgium brew this hazy, straw-colored gem to life. The aroma is bold and big with coconut and curry tones and a hint of banana from the hefe yeast. With a vast spice list of cinnamon, coriander, fenugreek, ginger, kaffir lime, and cayenne pepper this beer carries a bit of heat but the alcohol soothes the finish. Coconut Curry Hefe will leave an inquisitive smile on the drinker’s mug" (source).
- Shiner Holiday Cheer, $1.49/12oz - "Happy Holidays from the "Little Brewery" in Shiner, TX. We hope you enjoy your Shiner Cheer, an Old World Dunkelweizen brewed with Texas peaches and roasted pecans. The malty flavors of this dark wheat ale are enhanced through the use of malted barley and wheat. And Kräusening ensures a smoothnessthat makes the subtle peach and pecan flavors all the more satisfying. May your days be merry and bright and your Shiner be cold" (source).
- Left Hand Homefront IPA, $6.69/22oz - "Homefront IPA is a collaborative beer produced by nine U.S. breweries to raise money & awareness for Operation Homefront. Thanks to our friends at Fremont Brewing Co., Left Hand got to be a part of this awesome beer & cause. Homefront is an American IPA, brewed with orange zest and aged on maple Louisville Slugger bats, for a truly American offering" (source).
- Atwater Blocktoberfest, $1.79/12oz - "Octoberfest, a German tradition that celebrates harvest. Now Atwater carries on the tradition with our own special lager "Blocktoberfest". Brewed with 100% German malt for a rich taste and amber color." (source).
- Arbor Brewing Sodibo Barrel Aged Blond Ale, $17.49/750ml - "Sour Series: Brasserie Blonde aged in oak and soured. Sodibo is a sophisticated and complex ale with a bright golden hue and moderate carbonation. It features a burst of complex fruity, spicy, sweet-tart, and earthy flavors with a quenching acidity in the finish" (source).
- Ommegang Game of Thrones Take The Black Ale, $9.29/750ml - "Inspired by the brotherhood of the Night’s Watch, Take the Black Stout was made to be deep, dark and complex like those who have sworn the oath to defend Westeros against threats from the north. The label depicts the Weirwood tree where Jon Snow recited the oath before joining the Night’s Watch" (source).
Virtue Cider | Video of the Week
Here's a look at where and with whom Greg will be working. Enjoy!
Best of luck, Greg!